About our Catholic High Schools
The Diocese of Lansing operates four regional, comprehensive, co-educational high schools in Ann Arbor, Flint, Jackson and Lansing, each with unique histories and traditions, but all grounded in one mission:
That Jesus Christ is the reason for these schools, the unseen but ever-present teacher in all its classes, the model of its faculties, and the inspiration for its students.
Founded as Lansing Catholic Central High School in 1970, Lansing Catholic brought together the traditions, culture, and alumni of four original schools: St. Mary’s High School (founded in 1904), Resurrection High School (founded in 1939), Msgr. John W. O’Rafferty High School and Msgr. John H. Gabriels High School (both founded in 1963), which consolidated to the former Gabriels campus, where Lansing Catholic remains today. In 2015, the school completed the first phase of a long-term construction and renovation plan that included the opening of its new St. John Paul II Chapel. Lansing Catholic serves 535 students from the Greater Lansing and Mid-Michigan areas.
Founded in 1968 to serve the varied educational needs of Catholic youth in the city of Jackson, Lumen Christi Catholic School is committed to the mission of cultivating the whole person, spiritually, mentally, physically, socially and psychologically, to develop in each person an understanding of his or her responsibilities to God, themselves, their families, and the larger community. Beginning in the 2015-2106 school year, Lumen Christi expanded from grades 9-12 to include grades 7 and 8 from the Jackson Catholic Middle School, now housed in one, fully-renovated 172,700 square foot facility.
Founded in 1970, Powers Catholic High School in Flint, enrolls more than 650 students from its five-county region, and is committed to a tradition of diversity that enables qualified students from all walks of life to obtain an excellent Catholic secondary education. Relocated in 2015 to the fully-renovated former Michigan School for the Deaf and Blind, Powers Catholic now occupies an historical educational facility situated high on a hill overlooking 57 pristine acres of wooded property, just west of downtown Flint. A $15 million investment restored Fay Hall and added 75,000 square feet of space, including a gymnasium, chapel, library, theater and media center.
Founded in 1868 and operating for a century as St. Thomas the Apostle School, Fr. Gabriel Richard High School in Ann Arbor, traces its roots to the earliest missions of the Catholic Church in Michigan. In 1980, the school split into an elementary school, which retains the name St. Thomas the Apostle School, and a high school, which was named for Fr. Gabriel Richard, the missionary priest whose legacy includes establishing the first Catholic Church in Michigan in 1701. Relocated in 2003 to its current home adjacent to the pastoral grounds of Domino’s Farms, Fr. Gabriel Richard High School in 2008 was added to Top 50 List of best Catholic high schools in the nation and has been included for seven consecutive years.